The local specialties of Yeongju, produced in the pristine environment on the foothills of Sobaeksan Mountain, are grown with an abundance of organic nutrients, clean air, and clean water, delivering the best quality in the country. Also, Yeongju produces its specialties, some of which have been produced locally for generations, using differentiated manufacturing techniques and carefully chosen raw ingredients to ensure premium quality.
- Produced in soil that is rich in organic matter at the foothills of Sobaeksan Mountain Punggi Ginseng has a denser internal structure than Ginseng grown in other parts of the country. It also offers an intense Ginseng flavor, and is high in highly powerful effective Saponin content.
- Produced in the blessed natural environment surrounding the Sobaek Sanmaek mountain range, and the vast temperature difference between day and night during the ripening season, which adds more aroma and sugar content, Yeoungju Apples are often lauded for their honey-like taste by consumers across the country.
Yeongju Korea-bred Beef
- Yeongju Korea-bred Beef comes from cattle raised on clean water, air, and high-quality hay from Sobaeksan Mountain. It has often been judged to have the best meat quality in the country, and it is pure Korea-bred beef hygienically processed at a slaughterhouse with state-of-the-art facilities.
- Yeongju Rice has earned the eco-friendly certification, GAP, and tracking certification from the government. Baekchal is known for its glutinous texture, Nalssinmi is known for its dietary fiber, and Ggamchal is a functional rice product that contains plenty of Anthocyanin.
Yeongju Eggs (Sobaek Nepran)
- Yeongju Eggs are eco-friendly certified (antibiotic-free) or grade-1 or higher graded eggs that are hygienically washed, coated, and sorted. They are high in Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, and Tocopherol content, and are low in cholesterol with no fishy flavors compared to regular eggs.
Punggi Viscose Rayon
As a specialty of the Yeongju (Punggi) region, Punggi Viscose Rayon is popular with tourists visiting the Punggi region as it is known as the “refrigerator fabric” that stays cool and crisp in the summer.
The fabric is extracted from natural pulp, and it is often used as a material for summer clothing, pajamas, and blankets.
- Thanks to the large daily temperature gap and the clean environment along the foothills of Sobaeksan Mountain, Dansan Grapes not only smell and taste outstanding, but they also boast a higher sugar content than grapes from any other region. Dansan Grapes offer functional benefits - they strengthen the digestive system and prevent the growth of malignant cells.
- Discorea Batatas (“Sanyak”) and Hasuo are great health foods capable of strengthening the mind and body by improving a person’s constitution and strengthening stamina. In particular, both products produced just below Sobaeksan Mountain deliver excellent efficacies in terms of boosting energy, improving blood, protecting the liver, and treating diabetes.
Hangwa Korean Sweets and Cookies
- Hangwa, which preserves the traditional tastes of Korean sweets and cookies, is produced using local specialties such as Ginseng, Discorea Batatas, Hasuo, as well as natural foods such as Mugwort and Pine needles. Hangwa produced in Yeongju is best known for its light and savory taste that is not too sweet, which makes it perfect for ancestral rites, as gifts, and for weddings.
Sobaeksan Ojeongju Traditional Liquor
- Sobaeksan Ojeongju is an alcoholic beverage that scholars from noble families drank as a medicinal drink for health benefits during the Joseon Dynasty. It uses five medicinal herbs as ingredients (which is where it gets its name from), including Hwangjeong (Solomon’s Seal), Changchul (Atractylodes lancea root nodes), and Solyeop (Pine needles), which grow wild in Sobaeksan Mountain as well as clean mineral water from Sobaeksan Mountain, Korean rice and yeast made from Korean wheat.
Sunheung Gijitteok Rice Cake
- Gijitteok is also called Sanghwatteok or Sanghwabyeong, which means “white and beautiful like a frosted flower.” It is a rice cake that is fermented (made with alcohol), which is one of Korea’s most beloved traditional cooking methods. It has a coarse texture and is full of lactic acid bacteria, meaning it stays fresh for longer even in the summer season.
Sweet Potato Bread
- Sweet Potato Bread is made using 100% high-quality Sweet Potatoes with high sugar content grown in the Yeongju area. It is a healthy, natural food made and sold without adding any preservatives.
Sante Maru (Yeongju Apple Wine)
- Sante Maru is a 100% natural product made from Yeongju Apples, a local specialty, with no added sugar or alcohol. Sante Maru Apple Ice Wine won the silver prize at the 2013 San Francisco International Wine Competition.
- Jung Donut is a type of glutinous rice donut that uses Korean glutinous rice produced in the Yeongju area as the main ingredient. It is a healthy food made using local specialties such as Ginseng, Apples, Ginger, and Sweet Potato as ingredients.