Sampanseo Historic House earned its name from the fact that three government ministers lived there from the end of the Goryeo period to the early Joseon period. Sampanseo means “three ministers.”
The first occupant of this house was Jeong Un-gyeong (1305-1366), a minister of justice during the reign of King Gongmin of Goryeo. Jeong Un-gyeong bequeathed this house to Hwang Yu-jeong (1343-unknown), acommercial minister, who in turn bequeathed it to his son-in-law, Kim So-ryang (1384-1449), a county governor. Kim So-ryang's son Kim Dam (1416-1464) was appointed public administration minister. Thereafter, the descendants of Minister Kim continued to live in this house. This historic house fostered not only the three ministers but also Jeong Do-jeon, the prime contributor to the founding of Joseon; Hwang Jeon of the Inspection Department; Kim Jeong, a scholar of Jiphyeonjeong Royal Library; and other many scholars and famous officials. The renowned household was famous for having exchanges with many scholars from all over the country.
Sampanseo Historic House, which existed for hundreds of years as a symbol of the Yeongju scholar south of Guseong Park, sustained damages during the 1961 great floods. It was dismantled and was restored in October 2008 on Guhak Park, which overlooks Seocheon Stream. It was established as a famous site symbolizing Yeongju, the town of scholars.